Mental Health Awareness Training System
This hands-on course is the second unit in a three-unit mental health training system.
It is designed to allow experiential practice of skills learned in the eLearning unit #1 where police officers will be taught how to properly engage individuals with mental illness
- 7 hours – in person (based on a class size of 12)
- 6 Mental Health scenario based role-plays
- Enhancement of skills through experiential practice
- Allows deeper understanding through practice in a safe environment
- Emotionally and intellectually engaging
- Focuses on behavioural development
- Officers will interact with professional actors portraying individuals with mental illness in a scenario-based role play and will receive feedback from facilitating officers and mental health professionals.
- Appropriate for all patrol members
Train the Trainer Package
A Train the trainer package has been developed and can be implemented in your organization by your training staff.
Contact For More Information
This package includes:
- Information on how to train actors
- Surveys and evaluation packages with help from ProTraining analyst
- Unlimited skype sessions with a ProTraining facilitator
ProTraining will be touring Canada and the USA delivering Unit 2 training to police organizations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book a training time.
- Demonstrate empathy, recognizing emotions others are feeling, and responding appropriately
- Demonstrate positive communication techniques that emphasize active communication.
- Demonstrate positive communication techniques that focus on proper body language techniques.
- Demonstrate de-escalation strategies that focus on defusing the situation.
- Demonstrate strategies when subject is defensive, uncooperative or threatening
- Understand strategies to utilize in regards to follow up, and prevention of reoccurrence